Moscow – Saint Petersburg (1,5 days) – Moscow
from 2 520 €
Myshkin is an amazing city that has managed to become famous throughout the country, thanks to its name. The Assumption Cathedral stands majestically on a high hill. It has preserved an amazing painting, which could be called 3D graphics today. Columns and cornices are depicted on the walls, and pilasters and arches are depicted in the drum of the dome. At first, they seem real, and only if you look closely, it becomes clear that most of them are actually just artful drawings. Quite different wonders await guests at the museum "Russian Valenki". Here you can learn all about how to make this native Russian shoes. And the "House of Crafts" will be a godsend for fans of interactive museums. There is a blacksmith shop, a pottery workshop, and each is run by professional craftsmen.
A review tour of the city with a visit to the Memorial of the 60th Anniversary of the Victory, the Chapel of St. George the Victorious, Upper Boulevard, Dormition Cathedral, the museum "Little City in the Great War," the club-museum of retro-equipment "Crew" with the technique of war years, the art gallery-gift of the artist-frontline Hermann Tatarinov.
The harsh beauty of the Kirillo-Belozersky Monastery, erected on the shore of Lake Siversky, amazes tourists. The legent says that the founder of the Monastery the monk Cyril was strict and humble, independent and meek. He came to these places in 1397, dug a cave and devoted his days to work and prayer. Soon, five more monks joined him, and after 30 years, their number reached 53. Over time, the monastery became a major economic center: the trade route to the White Sea went through it. By the 16th century, the monastery had become one of the most important libraries: 210 manuscripts were stored here. The history of the monastery is closely connected with the name of Basil III, who visited it more than once. Here, in 1528, he prayed with his wife for the gift of an heir. Two years later, Ivan the Terrible was born. The stone monastery walls that you will see were built by the end of the XVII century. But on the territory of the monastery there are many more ancient structures.
A trip to the island of Valaam will be a truly unforgettable experience. The rocky island, covered with coniferous forests, with gardens where some trees are more than 150 years old, and the majestic monastery, which is called Northern Athos – is a striking unity of pristine nature and human labor. According to the legend, this island in the old days was marked by Andrew the First-Called, a disciple of Christ. While preaching the Gospel, he set up a stone cross in the mountains of Balaam, but the monastery appeared much later here. The exact date of the foundation is unknown, but it did not happen before the tenth century.
The tour will begin with a walk to the foot of Mount Tabor, where the majestic Transfiguration Cathedral stands. Tourists will have to climb up to it by an old wide staircase. The lush monastery garden is to the left of it. In such a harsh climate, it is already a miracle in itself. Travelers will also get acquainted with the marble Znamenskaya Chapel, built after a visit to the monastery of the Russian autocrat Alexander II. The highlight of the tour will be a visit to the grandiose Transfiguration Cathedral, designed for more than 3,000 people. During the tragic events of the twentieth century, it was badly damaged and only recently restored. Everything in this place attracts and excites: the shrines of the monastery, the strict monastic architecture, and the unique nature of the island.
Not far from the settlement, the Ruskeala marble quarries are located. The deposit was discovered in 1765 and has been in operation since 1769. The integrity of the massif of the marble was cracked in the 20th century due to the use of dynamite. For this reason some quarries were abandoned and inundated. Now these picturesque deep quarries and adits with limpid water serve as a popular tourist attraction. The length of the quarries from north to south is 460 meters, width - up to 100 meters. The distance from the highest point to the bottom is more than 50 meters. The transparency of the water reaches 15-18 meters.
The quarries, as well as some other marble deposits of Karelia, the Urals, and Italy, supplied various projects in St. Petersburg, including St. Isaac's Cathedral, Marble Palace, St. Michael's Castle, the interiors of the Winter Palace, New Hermitage and Kazan Cathedral, and decorations of the St. Petersburg Metro (namely the Primorskaya and Ladozhskaya stations).
Peter and Paul Cathedral is justly regarded one of the main attractions of Peter and Paul Fortress. It was built in 1712–1733 as the main cathedral of St Petersburg, new capital of the Russian Empire. Designed in Baroque style by Dominico Trezzini, it combines typical features of West-European and Italian church architecture. It is rectangular in shape, with the dome on the eastern end and a belfry with a 402 feet high spire on the western entrance.
The interior decoration of the Cathedral is foreign for the Russian religious architecture tradition as well. Peter and Paul Cathedral is a hall church, with nave and side aisles of approximately equal height, united under a single immense roof. The space of the cathedral is divided in three parts by pillars, painted to imitate marble. The vaults of the cathedral are decorated with multicolored fresco paintings and gilded moldings. The cathedral is lit though twelve large windows. It became one of the first cathedrals in Russia, decorated with paintings, along with the icons. It was by no means the influence of the European tradition.
Artists will appreciate the wooden gilded Baroque iconostasis, designed by Ivan Zarudny and carved by Moscow craftsmen in the 1720s. The iconostasis contains 43 original icons of the eighteenth century. The central part of the iconostasis is designed in the form of the triumphal arch that spans the Royal Doors and rises into the space beneath the dome to a height of almost twenty meters. Near the iconostasis are a pulpit to the left, and the Tsar's Place to the right, a special spot where the emperor stood when there was a service.
Peter and Paul Cathedral is the symbolic center of Russia because it is the burial place of many of the imperial family. For two hundred years all Russian rulers from Peter I to Nicolas II (except Peter II and Ivan VI) and their families were buried here. The locations of the graves are marked by sarcophagi made of white Carrara marble. The lids of the tombs are decorated with large bronze cross coated in pure gold, tombs of the rulers have four bronze emblems of the Russian Empire at four corners. Sarcophagi of Emperor Alexander II and his wife Maria Alexandrovna were replaced by those made of green Altai jasper and pink Urals rhodonite in 1906. The remains of the last Russian Emperor Nicolas II and members of his family, who were shot under the town of Ekaterinburg by local Bolsheviks on 17 July 1918, were buried in the Catherine’s Chapel of Peter and Paul Cathedral on 17 July 1998.
In 1908 Grand Ducal Burial Chapel, designed by David Grimm, Anton Tomishko and Leonty Benois, was added to the cathedral as a burial place for Grand Dukes and Duchesses. From 1908 to 1915 thirteen persons were interred there, eight burials were transferred from Peter and Paul Cathedral. In 1992 great-grandson of Alexander II Vladimir Kirillovich Romanov was buried in the Chapel, which opened a new page in the history of the burials in the Peter and Paul Fortress. In 1995 the remains of his parents were transferred here. On June 3, 2010 his wife Leonida Georgievna Romanova, nee Bagration-Mukhranskaya, was laid to rest here.
The first stop will be ne in the spot, where the Neva River originates from the Lake Ladoga - on the island Shlisselburg where Fortress named “Oreshek” stands. You will know the fortress history, keeping a lot of mystery. A long time ago the fortress had an extremely strategic importance, over time the fortress was converted into an analogue of Russian Alcatraz where there was a prison for especially serious criminals. Now the fortress is a branch of the Museum of the History of Petersburg - Leningrad.
Staraya LadogaLearn more
The heart of Staraya Ladoga is an old fortress where the Yelena River flows into the Volkhov. In earlier times, it was a strategic site because it was the only possible harbor for sea-vessels that could not navigate through the Volkhov River. The fortress was rebuilt at the turn of the 15th and 16th centuries. In 1703, Peter the Great founded the town of Novaya Ladoga (New Ladoga) closer to the bank of Lake Ladoga. The ancient fortress thenceforth declined and came to be known as Staraya Ladoga (Old Ladoga), in order to distinguish it from the new town. The reconstruction of one of the towers of Staraya Ladoga's fortress was scheduled to be completed in 2010.
Small monasteries were built on the bank of the Oyat River at the turn of the XIV-XV centuries. During the six centuries that monasteries have existed, their appearance have changed from time to time. This is not surprising: initially, all the buildings on their territories were completely wooden, and fires in the past centuries happened too often. Stone buildings began to emerge only at the beginning of the XIX century. So, the Vvedensky Cathedral, which has survived to this day, was also built in 1817, earlier there was a wooden church on this place.
At school, everyone heard about the wooden churches of Kizhi Island, erected without a single nail. During the tour, you will have the opportunity to see them with your own eyes and learn the history of the masterpieces included in the UNESCO World Heritage List. The most famous of the ensemble is the Church of the Transfiguration of the Lord, crowned with twenty-two chapters of different sizes and shapes, which run up in tiers. Today, we admire this architectural monument, only thanks to a multi-stage restoration in the 20th century: the building is supported on a metal frame installed in the 80s. Now the work is still going. Next to this church is another, smaller one with nine chapters: the Church of the Intercession of the Virgin. During the tour of the island, you will see not only the famous churches and chapels, but also one of the restored peasant houses, and will be able to fully imagine the life of the northern peoples of the past centuries.
A walk through Petrozavodsk, which begins with the Onega embankment. Its opening took place at the end of the twentieth century, since then it has been updated more than once, and now it is a picturesque place with monuments that came here from different countries: Germany, France, Norway, Sweden, USA, Finland. Then the guests of the city will get acquainted with the wonderful Baltic-Scandinavian architecture of the National Theater of the Republic of Karelia. By the way, this is the only professional theater in the whole world, performances in which are in Russian,Vepsian, Karelian and Finnish. Then a short walk through the park will lead tourists to the memorial complex where the eternal flame burns. After taking just a few steps, travelers will find themselves in the historical center of the city and see the famous ensemble of the Round Square, which was designed in the XVIII century "according to compasses". The square has preserved its outlines even today, and a grandiose museum complex is located around it.
You will learn why it was here that Emperor Peter I ordered the construction of a shipyard and what role the city played in the fate of St. Petersburg, why Catherine II gave Vytegra the name by which we know it today, and how the Mariinsky Canal, the first gateway of which was built in Vytegra, forever changed the shipping system of Russia.
The Information Center of the Metallurgical Industry is a new project of Severstal. These are months of hard work. This is a solution to many issues, many of which representatives of the steel business have not previously encountered, and therefore at first they doubted that the project could be implemented in the set time frame. Doubts gave way to the desire to fulfill the dream of the people who built our city and the metallurgical plant. In 2013, Severstal veterans shared it at a meeting with the head of the steel division.
Walking tour of the Kremlin with visit to TsarevichDimitriy Church on Blood, Spaso-Preobrazhenskiy Cathedral
You will get acquainted with the city of Uglich, its architecture and centuries-old history.
The walk will begin with a visit to the Kremlin, located on the picturesque bank of the Volga. On its territory the princely chambers, the oldest building in the city and one of the oldest samples of residential architecture in Russia are preserved. Here is also the Cathedral of Spaso-Preobrazhenskiy, built in the 18th century and painted by a group of artists headed by the fortress peasant Timothy Medvedev. Travellersare invariably admired by biblical stories that decorate walls and resemble the works of famous Italian Renaissance artists. The six-tier iconostasis with unique icons of the XVII-XVIII centuries also deserves special attention.
Getting to know with Uglich will continue in one of the monasteries.
This small city, which is part of the Golden Ring of Russia, which has been enjoying the love of tourists for a year. Many of them return to Uglićover and over again. What is the secret to his attraction? We invite you to answer this question yourself after the excursion.
Uglich is an ancient town on the bank of the Volga. Nowadays it is difficult to tell why it got such a name. Some researchers claim that it is about the coal mines here, others - in the Volga, which in this place changes direction, forming an angle.
But, whatever the case, Uglich remains one of the most beloved cities, and since 2017 he has been part of the Golden Ring of Russia. Travellers are attracted to the atmosphere of comfort, silence and peace, picturesque streets, beautiful architectural monuments and unusual museums.
This excursion will allow you to get acquainted with Uglich 's centuries-old history in its development. To see ancient churches located on the territory of the Kremlin and to visit the Museum of Hydropower opened in 2006. Together with the tour guide tourists will study exhibits of 11 halls. Here you can learn about the history of hydropower in the USSR and Russia, study the types of hydropower plants, and see how the water mill works. This museum is a real interactive complex, the motto of which is "Touching with hands is allowed!." Therefore, it will be interesting for both adults and young travellers.
Cabins and prices
The price is approximate and will be finally calculated at the time of booking, taking into account current discounts and promotions